Monday, April 16, 2012

Cat or Boomkin for cataclysm?

So I will be resto main spec for sure but I cant decide whether I want to be boomkin or kitty for secondary spec dps. What are the advantages and disadvantages of boomkin and kitty. Also how well are both of them doing right now?
From what I've heard, and tried on my little kitty, cats have one of the hardest rotations in the game. (What's new...?) Get it right and you're doing stellar...get it wrong and you drop off kinda harshly.

Boomkins are still nasty DPS but I can't stand the new Eclipse mechanic. I kinda preferred the old RNG based Eclipse to be honest.

Big thing you gotta decide is whether you wanna play melee or caster.
Thing is...resto healing has been buffed to the point that you heal just as strongly out of ToL now as you did IN ToL before.

Or did you just like the animations? I can't say I blame you if that's the case.

I'm enjoying Feral a LOT. It takes a bit to learn how to time your CD's for maximum damage output but once you do...holy cow does it feel good.

It also feels good to tear through moooooost classes in PvP right now. Shockadins are still a handful if I don't have my trinket up, as are DK's and frost Mages, but everything else falls pretty handily.
Thing is...resto healing has been buffed to the point that you heal just as strongly out of ToL now as you did IN ToL before.


Spoken like a level 50. Resto was nerfed into the ground recently, I'm not QQ'ing, many of the nerfs needed to happen, but wake up and smell the coffee. We didn't get buffed. At all. Static ToL form only gave a passive +6% healing received aura to EVERYONE, all other healers benefit from this aura as well.

Anyways, @ OP:

My Resto WAS feral OS, but I changed to Boomie os for Cata because it can be frustrating to try to maintain two sets of gear while leveling. Boomie/Resto can use a lot (if not all) of the same gear while leveling. If I don't like Boomie I'll just switch back to kittie @ 85.
I absolutely love the changes made to boomkins. Being able to keep Eclipse procs while moving is so awesome, especially while leveling. If you went resto/boomkin in Cata, you can share gear between the two spec, with some swapping due to enchants/gems. Boomkins also have lots of unique spells (Moonfire, Insect Swarm, Treants, Starfall, Typhoon).

This druid I posted on is my 2nd druid, and is bear/kitty. Kitties play just like rogues, so if you have experience playing a rogue its very similar. If you are trying to pick up kitty for the first time at 80, it will seem overwhelming. I STRONGLY suggest downloading the DroodFocus addon from Curse. It is fantastic and works great out of the box. The only thing I did was move it under my toon. This addon allows you to track energy, combo points, and all of the major abilities you need to keep track of (Savage Roar, Rip, Rake, Mangle, and FFF). It has their little icons with timers, and orders them left to right of what will expire first and therefore needs refreshing. Read the cat dps guide, get the addon, and sit behind a dummy and just practice. Get a feel for the timing of when things expire, how fast your energy regens, etc. And when you thing you have the hang of it, run some heroics for more practice. Just know that if you try to look at Recount as a gauge for how you are doing, its going to be very skewed. Your overall damage, even with Swipe spam, will be low, but boss dps will be high, especially if the other dps is lacking, as that means your bleeds had more time to tick. Also, no one gives kitties crap about dps in heroics because everyone knows how hard they are to play.
Thing is...resto healing has been buffed to the point that you heal just as strongly out of ToL now as you did IN ToL before.


Spoken like a level 50. Resto was nerfed into the ground recently, I'm not QQ'ing, many of the nerfs needed to happen, but wake up and smell the coffee. We didn't get buffed. At all. Static ToL form only gave a passive +6% healing received aura to EVERYONE, all other healers benefit from this aura as well.

Anyways, @ OP:

My Resto WAS feral OS, but I changed to Boomie os for Cata because it can be frustrating to try to maintain two sets of gear while leveling. Boomie/Resto can use a lot (if not all) of the same gear while leveling. If I don't like Boomie I'll just switch back to kittie @ 85.


The Gift of Nature passive doesn't make up for what we lost with constant ToL?
Another great addon for Kitty is badkitty on curse. Your ticks show up as a dwindling bar on your target, makes it easier to get the most out of your bleeds.
They haven't nerfed us as much as everything thinks. They just changed around our healing style. Plus our Tree of Life Form is overpowered as !@@!. 5 Alliance in Wrathful on me and I don't get killed.
I still think it depends on which style you like more. I doubt you'd like to spend the entire game casting slow spells if you prefer to be up in mobs' faces mangling them, it would be like watching grass grow plus some paint drying on top of that.
Level resto, you have no downtime and you get in queues faster.
The New eclipse mechanic is easy sauce. I got 80-85 in boomy in 2 days of casual questing. I just have been boomy for days and wanted to level in this spec. Its cake. cata is cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment